Thursday, March 13, 2008

My Special Place




I don't hold things very tightly. I don't get attached to houses, don't like to shop, haven't been to the mall in years, etc., but.....I do love to quilt. For 28 years I sewed on the dining room table. I would get everything out, make a huge mess, and then have to quickly put everything back into my closet before friends came over.




A year ago we took a few pieces of furniture to a consignment shop, and they were sold within a couple of weeks. We waited to get a check in the mail - and we waited and waited. Apparently, the store was having "cash flow" problems and couldn't pay us for the sold furniture. Many frustrating weeks and phone calls later, we decided that the only way to recoup the loss would be to trade out for something in the store. I had seen this old post office desk there and thought it was wonderful. Poor Randy, he wanted to get rid of furniture and make some money. Instead, he had to pay more money and bring more furniture home :0)




For the first time ever I can leave my machine out and have everything I need in one place. It has 100 cubbies for thread and notions and fabric. I also just love to sit back and look at all the colors. I have my wool pincushions on top that I make and collect. My sweet friend, Claudie, made the little strawberry girl for my Christmas gift - I love her!!!!




It is a sweet blessing to have a place in your home that is special and just makes you feel good. Now you have seen mine.

4 comments:

Ciara said...

Hi there
I came across your blog through the 'down to earth' blog & I've always wanted to try quilting. It my year for 'doing' the things I've said 'i'd always like to try'. And since its coming into winter what better time.
So was wondering would you have any simple patterns or tips on where/how to get started please?

You're kids are so cute by the way. Kudos on adopting 3.

Thx for any help/advice you could offer.

Ciara
http://simplyfriendstime.blogspot.com/

Marci said...

Now there are some pictures to drool over. I LOVE IT!!!!! I see you have blue gingham there. I am accused that blue gingham is my favorite color. =)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful sewing space! I love it.

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous of your sewing room!! Your children are just precious...How blessed you are!
Patricia