Monday, July 14, 2008

The Power of Words


I don't feel particularly powerful this morning, but I am. No, I haven't been working out at the gym (although I need it!). The great power I possess is in the words I speak to my family and to others.

I love the book of Luke. In chapter 1, there are two beautiful examples of parents (Mary and Zacharius) speaking life over their children and future generations. Did you know that your words live on for generations? - wow!

I have a dear friend who has written down hundreds of Bible verses and keeps them on index cards. Several times a day she picks them up and prays those words out loud over her marriage, her husband, herself and her children. I love that! I now have my own cards that I have laminated and use. I love speaking God's blessing over my family.

I want to be so mindful of what comes out of my mouth today. Am I speaking encouragement or frustration over my sweet husband? What about my finances? My health? My precious children? A verse that God brings to my mind almost daily is Luke 6:45 which ends with these words: out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.

My prayer for today is that my heart will overflow with God's love - that my heart will spill over through my words to touch everyone I see.

3 comments:

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

The cards are a great idea Mary! I know our words are very powerful--positive or negative. You have to be so careful to speak good into people's lives, to speak what you DO want, not what you don't want.

I have talked to myself and God most of today while my brother was in surgery. Good things, affirmations, praises, thanks, and so on.

Thanks for the great post--I enjoyed it!

Patricia said...

Doesn't scripture just lift your soul when you are down, brighten your spirit when you are up, encourage when you need lifting.... God's word is such a delight to those who know Him.
Patricia

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Mary, that is just beautiful. What a wonderful way to be mindful of this truth!

The Lord has heard your prayer because your words do overflow with His love. Today and many days before as I have read your posts.

I do believe I will create some cards of my own. Thank you.

... and the muffins were wonderful! I'll be posting a photo and the recipe on my blog along with a link back to you. Thanks so much for sharing.

Blessings & joy,
Lea