
One of the many things I love about God is that He can use the familiar to teach something new to me. I have read the following verse many times, but today God used it to step on my toes a little.
2 Kings 17:41 says, "So while the nations feared the Lord, they also served their idols; their children likewise and their grandchildren, as their fathers did, so they do to this day."
I confess that every time I heard a sermon on idols, I felt a little smug. I don't like TV, don't overshop or overspend (usually :), don't place my children before my marriage..... But apparently my "alone" time has become something I am clinging to a little too tightly.
I began to see some areas in my life that I didn't like to be intruded on. While I love for my children to join me when I read my Bible, I wanted MY computer time alone, MY quilting time alone, MY alone time to be alone.......see a trend developing here?
Just another reminder to me that I need God's help every minute, or I slip off the deep end very quickly. I don't want my children to feel like intrusions - I want to enjoy them in every situation.
Aren't you glad we have God's Word to keep us on track?
3 comments:
Ouch--now my toes are hurting too! This is an area I definitely need more work in!! Thanks for the reminder...
Oh Mary, Wonderful post... I too am guilty of this. Isn't it amazing satan uses little things to encroach on your godly responsibilities? I often slack in this area and you have reminded me the Lord expects better.
Patricia
Ouch ~ I am feeling that little tug at my heart too. Well maybe more than a little.
Thank you so much, Mary, for sharing your wisdom.
Blessings,
Lea
Post a Comment