Thursday, January 24, 2008

Home Again - Home Again!

We cut our trip to San Antonio short by a day because my sweet mother was so ill. The chemo and radiation have really taken a toll on her. Because the cancer was in her mouth, the radiation has gradually robbed her of the ability to eat. Her only nourishment now is through her stomach tube. The good news is that she only has 2 more weeks of radiation and chemo (we think) and then her frail body can begin to recover from the trauma of the past few months.

My Dad looked tired as well. He has become mother's chauffeur, maid and dish washer - literally. One reason we came home early was so that my mother could sleep in the guest room again at night. She is constantly tired and rests all day, but her mouth and throat keep her (and Dad) from sleeping well.

I am so proud of both of them. They are bruised but not defeated. I have always known that I have exceptional parents, but it has really blessed me to see them prevail through this. I have just marveled at the spiritual strength they are showing.

We had a little marker incident tonight that marred our family dinner. Nana bought the girls new outfits and they wore them to Bible study this morning. While I was cooking dinner, Mason and Madelyn decided to mark on her new dress with blue marker! AAAGH!!!! They both had to sit in their rooms while we started eating - what trauma! We soon brought both of them to the table, but after dinner we confiscated all markers and put them up for a while - a looooooong while.

I cleaned house today - it looked like a bomb went off after we unloaded the car and the suitcases. :0) Nana and Papaw bought the 3 little ones a Playmobile hospital for Christmas. When mother bought it she thought it folded up neatly and held all of the little pieces. It took 3 days to assemble, does not fold up, and has hundreds of little items. Oh well - Mason, Molly and Madelyn love it.

I went to my favorite quilt shop today and spent some of my birthday money on fabric - surprise, surprise. Mother had sent me enough material to make a queen size quilt, and now I have everything I need to finish it. So....in my spare time....

We are counting down the days until our Dallas trip to see Michael and Matt! I better get the binding on Michael's quilt and start on Matt's. So....in my spare time.... Missy, we wish you were going to be in Dallas with us! I know you have a very fun teaching test to take that day.

As Molly reminds me every day - I am so blessed to have 6 precious children!

No comments: