Sunday, January 11, 2009

My New Year


I made a semi-resolution a few years ago to learn one new craft or skill every year. 2009 is knitting year :) Last year I learned to crochet and made enough dish cloths to last a very long time. Our church has a new group of young mommy knitters who have motivated me to learn how to knit more that dish cloths this year. Their precious little ones have the cutest diaper bags and diaper covers. I can just picture Mason, Molly and Madelyn in handmade sweaters, scarfs and mittens!

Here is the latest project - a corded cable scarf made from clearance yarn I bought today at Michael's. It is my third scarf, and probably my last for a while (boring!). Hopefully I can finish this one soon and start on a simple sweater for the girls. I am finding that buying yarn is as addictive as buying fabric. Those of you who have read this blog for a while might remember that I gave away most of my fabric last month in a bold move toward simplification. I need to constantly remind myself that I don't want to get in the same situation with yarn!

Wish me well on my knitting venture. I'll keep you posted!

8 comments:

Janelle Willis Hurt said...

Your scarf is turning out great! My daughter knits, and I learned how when I was a little girl, but haven't done it since and don't even know if I'd remember how anymore!
Love to see your sweaters when you get them in progress..

janelle

Sheryl1024 said...

I'm so impressed! I am learning to knit, too! My Mom taught me over Christmas and I'm in the midst of a fuzzy yarn scarf. (I might be finished by now if I had knitted since I got back home.) Mine is my first and so a basic knit stitch, but I refused to use anything but fun yarn so anything more would be lost behind the fuzziness. (Good for beginner mistakes, too!) You know how incredibly crafty and talented my Mom is. I am so NOT crafty! I think I could be if I didn't get bored very quickly!

Anyway, best of luck to you with your venture. Your scarf looks great!! Happy knitting!!

Niki said...

Hi Mary,
Glad you liked my shawl, it's very easy. Let me know if you want the link to the pattern.
Blessings,
Niki

Farmhouse Blessings said...

How fun! Love the color of the yarn. Oh my, you have charm packs with matching jelly rolls. How fun! My charms are Moda. I just love the rich colors. I plan to make one little wall quilt called Grandma's Attic ~ its a star. The other pattern is called Chubby Chicks and is the cutest little applique quilt that I've ever seen. Every little chick is a different charm square with stitched feet and a button eye. I know it will take a while but its so fun to have plans.

I'm so glad that you like your book. I hope it helps you make your remodeling projects a little more fun!

Have fun knitting!

Blessings,
Lea

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

That is very cool my dear! Myself, I have a stack of gorgeous yarn in my closet with my best intentions sitting right next to them LOL I would love to learn to knit well enough to make beautiful, functional items. Maybe one day...

After some time to enjoy Florida after the convention we are flying over to Denver to visit some old friends before going home. I will be waving hello to you as we go past TX!

Emily Suzanne said...

I can't wait to see what you make!! I learned how to knit a few years back and haven't done it in so long... you may be key in motivating me to start back up!
We'll see!!!

Anonymous said...

Have I told you lately how much I love the scarf you knitted for me? Thank you, Mom!! You are wonderful! Love you guys!

Patricia said...

You are just learning to knit and knitted that already?! That is just not right! I have been trying and still am not good at it. lol You must be one of those very creative ~ perfectionist people. ;)
Patricia