Monday, June 15, 2009

Molly is 7!











I am still struggling with the fact that my Molly girl is seven! That seems sooooo much older than 6 to me. She had a wonderful weekend filled with family, a fun trip to an amusement park, a special cake and a few well-chosen gifts. Madelyn, Mason and I went shopping on Friday morning, and they were so cute picking out just the perfect Webkinz for Molly. (Actually, it is getting hard to find one she doesn't already have - but that's another story). Then Molly's brother, Matt, came home which was a special treat for all of us.

We have chosen, at least for a time, only to do family birthday celebrations. I noticed that an unwelcome spirit of greed and selfishness would come over our children as their birthdays approached. Our peaceful home would erupt into a battlezone because of jealousy between the birthday child and their siblings. So.....we are going to "circle-up" the family and make birthdays much less about gifts and more about a celebration of family. We aren't going to invite friends over for birthdays and we aren't accepting any invitations to go to other birthday parties. I don't know if this will be a permanent thing or not, but it will stay this way until I see a definite heart change in Mason, Molly and Madelyn.

Enjoy the pictures of our perfectly peaceful and fun birthday weekend :)

5 comments:

baylormum said...

I still remember the girls getting together to surprise you all at the airport when you returned from China with Molly! It's giving me goosebumps just thinking back that far! They were all so excited! It seems like yesterday. Looks like a great time was had by all. Wow. Our babies are growing up!

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

Molly is such a beautiful 7 year old!

And high five to you mom on making the decision to limit the birthday celebrations like that. We have always done that and I think it has made our kids appreciate things more, I really do.

P.S.--the cake with the horse buried in it would have been my dream come true at 7 years old! I played with one single Breyer horse for years because there were 4 kids in our family and not a lot of $$.

Patricia said...

Happy Birthday Molly! We only do small family get togethers also. Sage did have a brithday Tea with a few freinds for her 8th but this was a first.
You are so blessed with such a precious family...
Patricia

Livin' out loud said...

Hmm, this is an idea I may have to think about, our girls seem to have that same distorted view of what their birthdays are about as well, Chirstmas too. Thanks for putting this into perspective.
Susan

schromiester said...

Wow, 7 years old! I can't believe it! Hopefully she didn't have a brother who told her, "If you can't blow out your candles, then you can't turn 7." That year, I had trick candles. And Seth made me believe I would be 6 years old the rest of my life.